Saturday 29 September 2012

Things Christians say, part 34: Well, why don't you try praying?

A weekly series of responses to the things Christians say to atheists, based on the video reproduced here on 30th January 2012.  The aim is to tackle one every weekend, to give both a moderate, polite response to each question ('Piano'), followed by a more forceful rebuttal of the same question ('Forte'). 

Well, why don't you try praying?


Piano

I often hear people saying that prayer does not change what happens but it changes the person who is praying.

After a mere few decades of prayer I think I can say that I never found it to work very well for me.  There comes a point where it is pointed out to you that there are other options instead of prayer, and if you open your heart to that message that brings a whole new world of possibilities.

A change in philosophy has not wholly changed my life, but why should I expect that?  However, I do feel a certain intellectual honesty in my life that was missing before.  Things are much more satisfactory, and nothing is missing.


***

Forte

Why don't YOU try 'not praying'.  Just for a change, get off your knees and do something useful.


Last episode:  You're not really an atheist!

No comments: