Saturday 22 October 2011

Probably no Dawkins?

William Lane Craig's UK tour (referred to in an earlier post) is being promoted in Oxford with a witty advert on the buses.  It refers to Dawkins' sensible decision not to debate with the man who he has referred to as 'a ponderous buffoon'.  I think it is almost certain that there will be no Dawkins in the Sheldonian Theatre on the night of the event.  A colleague of mine at work kindly suggested that I should take up the challenge in place of Dawkins and that he would pay to watch that.  Little hope of that - although I think it could be great fun and however badly 'a nobody' like me performed it could do little to harm the cause of atheism.
 

The advert might be witty - it made me smile - but I wonder whether the organisers are shooting themselves in the foot by bringing the atheist bus campaign back into the news, free of charge.


This video describes the background, from the viewpoint of a christian organisation.



I would just say that there is probably an upside down Union Flag (sometimes called the Union Jack) prominently featured!  Flying the Union Flag upside down is traditionally a sign of being in distress.

Meanwhile Dawkins is not in distress.  Far from it.  Read his article in The Guardian from yesterday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lil 'ol me would not debate him (fo sho Ido not have enuff game for that), but if you do and you can go and at least ask a question or two during the Q&A..then by all mean. Show up and . I would like to see him debate in person sometime.

Kriss

Rosa Rubicondior said...

I'd love to take on the disingenuous, sanctimonious, smug little charlatan. Can someone send him over to me on Twitter or maybe invite him to comment on my KCA blog, please.